Wednesday, April 30, 2008

a first for me

I had to run to the grocery store this afternoon for a few items I had forgotten. Sam came with me so Chris could go for a bike ride before the sun went down.

Anyway, while I was walking to the check out Samantha started screaming. There was not much I could do, I wasn't going to take her out of her seat because we were going to check out and then go right back in the car. As I approached the check out she was still crying and I soon realized that pretty much everyone in the store was staring at me! I tried talking to Sam, giving her the pacifier, and swinging the seat but she did not want to be sitting and wouldn't stop crying; people continued to stare. I started to feel like I was doing something wrong, in some way neglecting my child or being a bad parent. People continued to stare. It was my turn to check out and she was still crying. The check out lady stared at Sam and then I swear I felt like she was glaring at me! What was I suppose to do? Clearly people could see that she was actually fine, not being hurt in any way, she just didn't want to be sitting and wanted to cry. That was the most uncomfortable, awkward trip to the grocery store EVER.

What are moms suppose to do in that situation? Do you ask people to stop staring? Do you pretend like you are talking loudly to your baby and say something like "Oh please stop crying so all these crazy people will stop staring at me?" Anyone else ever experienced the horribly judgmental stares of strangers?

Oh well, we survived.

4 comments:

Jodie Allen said...

no, my kids never scream in public. they are perfect.

Anonymous said...

I am laughing out loud after reading Jodie's comment, snorting even. Take her out of the seat if you are that worried about people staring, otherwise just ignore them. Isn't motherhood fun!
love mom

Holly said...

Ha! Welcome to the world of EVERYONE judging you. Gotta love motherhood. Thanks for sending your blog link. We can't wait to meet Sam whenever that may be! She's adorable!

One time when Ella was about 4-5 months old, we took her for a walk and the sun was shining right in on her. There wasn't much I could do except put the blanket over the stroller. She kept pulling it off. An older lady passed us, stopped and said, "Poor little guy, the sun is shining right in his eyes." And Ella was dressed head to toe in PINK! Anyway, you just get used to it and brush it off. Just do what you need to do and forget about everyone else. :-)

Congratulations! And I hope we can see you guys soon.

Anonymous said...

this cracked me up. Anyone who has kids is thinking, I can feel her pain. Those who are staring and don't have children are ignorant and just need to keep their oppinions to themselves. Brush it off and know this is not going to be the last time this ever happens. Megan is eight and every now and then she will even do something that causes stares. Remember don't sweat the small stuff.