Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Projectile poop and no sleep

What a great combination, right?
Yesterday Sam had some very explosive poops. I had been told this would start but I was not prepared for just how far that poop could fly! While trying to change one diaper Sam and I managed to dirty four diapers, two sleepers and two blankets! The poop was everywhere. It was quite an afternoon.
Then last night Sam decided that sleeping was overrated. Well, really she just decided that sleeping in her bouncy seat or anywhere but in my arms was overrated. We would get her fed, diaper changed, almost asleep and then lay her down and she would start crying. By about 3:30am I gave up and just got up with her. We went downstairs and she slept in my arms while I watched TV. She settled down and slept great but at that point I didn't want to risk putting her down in her bed because I wanted to let Chris get a few hours of good sleep. She is only two weeks old so I know that she should not yet be on any kind of schedule, but I do feel like at this point I should have things figured out a little bit more than I do. I still don't really know her cries; is she hungry? needing a diaper change? over tired? just wanting to be held? I feel like every time she cries I just feed her because that always calms her down and puts her to sleep but that can't be a good way to handle her being fussy. How do I know if I am feeding her too much? Can you feed a two week old too much? Moms out there, any advice?
Well, hopefully today will be a better, cleaner, day.

4 comments:

Jodie Allen said...

breast feeding proponents always say to offer the breast first and then try other things... I think that was partly why Parker ended up failing at breast feeding b/c I never had time to sit and feed all day whenever she was fussy... so it wasn't her fault, it was mine! BUT, I am going to try that technique as much as possible with Grayson. So keep doing what you're doing, you're doing great, excellent even, and you'll learn her cries as you go... that can take a while! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Abbie, its Stephanie(Frank from KUHN), I just wanted to let you now that Lillyian is almost 5 months old and I just learned her cries! Well some are cries and same is yelling and screaming! Just wait! As for feeding her to much, that isn't possible, since you are breast feeding, Lilly when I was breast feeding would literally feed ever hour to hour and a half, I felt like all i was doing was feeding her! They told me that she will eat only what she wants and can handle. I was also told to her here as much as possible so that your milk supply continues to come in. My milk supply slow stopped, not sure why, it just did so I unfortunately had to quit!
Samantha is so beautiful, and all that hair geez!
We thought Lillyian had a lot of hair, Sam outs her to shame! lol!
Good Luck, and can't wait to meet the new bundle of Joy!

Anonymous said...

Abbie-
You aren't feeding her too much, it is normal for a two week old to eat quite frequently (it should feel like all you are doing is feeding her!). The first six weeks is the hardest, but it gets easier after that (I promise!!). Feeding her frequently will help you get a stable milk supply, so keep doing what you are doing, you are doing great! As for the cries, it will come. It ONLY been two weeks, two weeks, that is like a blip on the radar, so just relax and enjoy her you are doing great!

Emily S. said...

Hello-- Jodie's blog friend here... I read Happiest Baby on the Block and Secrets of the Baby whisperer, and took elements from both in order to survive my first three months with my lil' stinker... So books can be great. (A side note, though-- books can also stink and make you feel inadequate, so it's a double-edged sword.)

Sam is AMAZING!! Congrats!