Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Bad Thought

Today a thought entered my mind that I wasn't expecting and didn't like...being a mom can be boring. Isn't that horrible? I feel like such a bad mom, a bad person really, for thinking that. Moms should love being moms and enjoy being moms; but today I just didn't feel that way. It's just that there are only so many things you can do with an infant. It was raining most of the day so I couldn't go for a long walk like I have been the last few days to kill some time and get out of the house. And the times when she is sleeping and will let me put her down I feel like I need to get stuff done but laundry, dishes and straightening up aren't really all that exciting either. So today I just felt bored.

But I did try some new things to pass the time. When it wasn't raining we sat outside and I talked to Samantha about the birds and ducks that we saw. She really seemed to like being outside; she was awake and not fussy!
We also got out the playmat that Jodie gave me and although Samantha is still too young to really enjoy it she stayed calm for at least a few minutes. It was funny because her hands and legs were moving a lot and she would hit the toys handing over her head totally by accident. I thought it was pretty cute and decided to video tape her a bit.




So the day is over and I made it. Hopefully tomorrow will be nice out and we can go for a walk, run errands or spend more time outside to make it a better day.

But Sam is still adorable when she sleeps!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh you are so normal. I can't count the times being MOM was miserable and the guilt is so painful, it is probably why we moms inflict guilt on our kids, they did it to us first even thought they didn't even know it. You need to start doing a project that can be worked on in small increments. Redo shelves, paint a small piece of furniture, clean the screen porch, etc. etc. Something you can start and stop easily. Seeing progress will be rewarding, babies are wonderful, and they grow fast but when you are in the trenches it is slow. Give her a hug for me. love mom

LIFE AFTER RETIREMENT said...

Abbie,
Sam is a doll and you are a great mom. Of course it is boring, but enjoy it while you can. As soon as she is moving and talking, you will wish for some boring times. As you know, I take care of Charlie several days a week. He wears me out - he is always talking and on the go. I wish it was boring at times. Hang in there, life with Sam will only get more and more interesting as she gets older. Yesterday I took Charlie to the park and after he played awhile on the climber etc, we took a walk and looked at flowers, listened to the birds, watched fish in the stream, blew the tops off weeds, and actually hugged the trees. It wasn't boring at all - such a treat introducing him to nature.
Pat

Anonymous said...

Hey Abbie, I use to feel the same way. I was always bored and nothing to do. Now Lilly is a little over 5 months old and I wish I could be bored! She is so active and hardly takes naps at all, and if she does they are no longer then a half hour! Enjoy the bordem while you can, because it won't last for to much longer!
Sam is so cute!
I am so jealous of all her hair! Lilly is bald!
Stephanie

Dan, Darcy, Darren and Evelynn Grabski said...

Well I checked the weather just now at 10:11 pm on Tuesday and it is suposed to be really nice out tomorrow. So I was thinking that we can go for our super long walk along the river again. And I get bored a lot too, being a mom is exhausting in itself let alone trying to keep up with the stupid house work! See you tomorrow hopefully :)

Jodie Allen said...

abbers, everyone has said it already. yes, infants are boring. they really aren't fun until they start smiling and even then they can still be boring. when bails was that age i needed something to do so i started scrapbooking. i loved it b/c she could sleep or be hanging out next to me and i could play and create with the millions of photos i took every day.

and even though we all say it, you won't enjoy it until you don't have it anymore! i think that's just the way it works. you don't know how good you have it (how easy even) until later when you miss it.

take a deep breath, take a nap, watch a movie and remember how insane my life is and it will make you feel better! :)