Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I am feeling very Charlie Brownish this morning

In the words of Charlie Brown....Good Grief!

That is about how I feel this morning after Sam took a huge fall head first off her changing table. This is the first time she has ever rolled away from me and actually fallen. She has been scared before which I thought had made her learn she couldn't get down from up there, but apparently she hadn't learned. And apparently I SHOULD HAVE LEARNED! I just turned away to grab her pants, less than a foot away from her, and then she fell. The worst part is that she was laying on the floor just screaming and I immediately scooped her up into my arms. As a first responder I KNOW BETTER! Check for head, neck, back injuries first. But in that moment I just needed to hold her. To apologize PROFUSLY and cry with her because I felt so bad for letting her fall. It took me almost a half hour to get her calmed down and breathing normally again. But I think she is okay. Walking and talking fine. I checked all her limbs for breaks or sensitive spots after she stopped crying and there was nothing. Oh, God please let her be okay.

A rough morning was not what I needed after getting some very disappointing professional news last night. It is a long and complicated story but the short version is that I was given the opportunity through one of my side jobs this past year to apply to present at the National Environmental Education Conference happening in Portland, Oregon. This is a pretty big deal, at least it was going to be for me. I thought for sure the project that I had been a part of was a shoe-in to get accepted to present, but it didn't, at least not for an actual presentation. We got accepted to submit a poster. A POSTER? Seriously? I have never been to this conference before (it is really expensive to go but through this project part of my expenses would be covered) so I don't really know what the poster room is like but in my mind I am imaging my fifth grade history project posters. I researched Hawaii and served pineapple! I just couldn't believe they were really asking me to spend well over $2000 to go to this conference and stand next to a poster. Other people from the project are going for other presentations so they will most likely still do the poster but I just can't justify the cost and time away for a poster. I was so disappointed last night. Good Grief.

But good news on the blog front...
Chris figured out how to export this WHOLE blog to a new blog! So the address for this blog will be changing probably this weekend. Content, pictures, and everything else will stay the same but the address will be different. Sorry about the hassle this may cause to the couple of people that may have me linked or listed on their google reader but I just don't think with another kid coming I can keep the address as All About Sam. So, thanks to all the great ideas and offers of help but my husband stepped in and helped me out! I do need a new title though...so keep the ideas coming!

Okay, back to work! Hopefully you all are not starting your day off with a GOOD GRIEF!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Parker bonked Bailey, Bailey pushed Parker, both accidents! Bailey slipped on the floor in Schnucks and hit the deck pretty hard, Grayson stood up and fell. Falls are just part of a kids life. They bounce like Tigger pretty much. Give her another hug from Grandma and don't be so hard on yourself.
Love
mom

Katie said...

Wow!!! Congrats on the new addition! So blessed!

(wondering if you are still breastfeeding because Im wondering if this is possible - for me - while BF. Id like to have em close together too)

Dont worry about being partially-rejected (hey, they still wanted the poster, right?), Portland isnt that great so you arent missing out on much! What was your research on? Hawaii? Id love to hear about it! you can send me some pineapple with that, too.

Katie said...

oh yeah, name your blog - Abbiemakesbabies.blogspot.com