Wednesday, February 11, 2009

daycare

I love it and hate it at the same time.
This morning was a rough morning. Sam has a pretty gross runny nose and she HATES having it wiped, but I cannot just watch the snot run down her face and into her mouth! YUCK! So all morning I was wiping her nose against the worst squirming and screaming protest. She refused to eat breakfast, didn't want to be put down (which makes getting myself dressed very difficult), and threw little Sam tantrums every time I refused to let her play with certain items in the bathroom. I was reaching my patience limit with her and we had only been awake for an hour. She was just so fussy.
As I was putting my screaming child into the car to go to daycare I was thinking THANK GOD for Andrea because this is one of those days that going and sitting in my lonely, cold basement office sounds wonderful. When we got to daycare Sam could not have been more excited. She walked (with assistance) right over to Andrea, gave her the biggest smile and then when picked up hugged Andrea (head on shoulder) until I walked out the door.
While I was glad to be passing over my fussy child I was also really sad that she was clearly SO happy to see someone else. I didn't get a hug like that this morning. Was she as sick of me as I was of her? Does she lose her patience with me? I have never thought of it that way before.
I am hoping when I pick her up at noon this will be one of the few days when she is happy to see me and go home with me and NOT one of the days when she screams as we leave Andrea's house.

3 comments:

amber said...

Oh Abbie, it really stinks sometimes doesn't it! Brianna used to do that all the time at daycare. Sometimes she still looks at me and calls me both her teachers names and grandma before she remembers that I'm mommy. It is a good thing that she likes daycare though. I've been having a hard time lately with Bob's parents watching the kids while I work or go to the gym, but as Bob reminds me, of course Brianna likes staying with them, they have no responsibilities while they are there except to play with her. The same goes with daycare, it is their job to entertain your child and keep them engaged. When you're home with Sam you have to tell her no, clean the house, make lunch/dinner whatever. I'm sure if we could we all would just play with our kids all the time, but we can, so we do the best we can. You are doing a super job, Sam looks so happy and healthy and she's developing her own opinions about things (just be thankful she can't really talk back yet! :)) And we all need a break now and then. And to the comment you left for me, I don't think Brianna knew any of that at her year appointment. So try not to worry, Sam is doing great, you are doing great.
Isn't it funny how it is so easy to see how great other kids are doing and how other mom's are doing so well with their kids, but we can never see it with our own.
Take care and we'll see you soon! :) Can't wait

Jodie Allen said...

remember the story of me (I think I was two? mom would know) standing on the porch screaming for grandma and saying... "don't leave me with HER!!!!!"

HA!

I guess it could be worse! :)

Holly said...

Just to respond to your comment you left on Amber's blog about one year doctor appts. HA! Ella didn't know anything. Maybe waving bye. But that's it. And I definitely don't work with them the way I should, but they are learning stuff in school sooo I don't feel too guilty about that. :-)AND if this makes you feel better, their teachers both told us that they don't expect us to "teach" them things at home. They say we're there to parent, they can all learn that stuff at school. Not that I'm using that as an excuse to be lazy, but it did help take away some of the guilt I feel about that.

Oh, and in reference to this post. She just knows you're always going to be there for her and that is why she doesn't react the same way. My kids barely acknowledge my existence outside of getting something for them or picking up after them. But they sure did miss me after I came back from being on vacation for 6 days! That felt so good! They even missed me more than they did Andrew I think!