Monday, September 29, 2008

I am wearing black.

I am mourning the death of my 26th year of life, it ended last night at midnight.

Today I am 27 years old. And not very happy about it.

Yesterday as I was walking into the grocery store wearing a field hockey t-shirt from my senior year of high school I realized that there are things that 27 year olds probably shouldn't do. Like still wearing t-shirts from high school! Still wondering what they are going to be when they grow up. Still having dreams of doing something that they have NO chance of ever becoming. Still biting their finger nails. Still keeping their eyes out for more antique, metal, cartoon lunch boxes and smurf/peanuts stuff (27 year olds are probably too smart to have stupid, money wasting collections). Still anxiously awaiting Christmas morning and wanting to wake up at 5:00am to see what Santa brought. Still sometimes wanting nothing but a bowl of cereal for dinner. No I don't think those are things that 27 years old should still be doing. So I don't want to be 27. In fact I think I would like to go back to the simple life of kindergarten. No worries just all coloring and playing on the playground (and NAP TIME!).

A bit melodramatic...yes, but I just hate getting older.

Okay, let's get this day going.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

First off -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Second -- who is up at 5:15 am?? Not me at least...

You are the most beautiful 27 year old I know!! You should embrace today as being the first birthday you have with Sam. I can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks. El and I will have to take you back to the 26 year old side for a few days!!

Love you!! ~Tracy

amber said...

Happy Birthday Abbie!

Huh...wonder what that says about me...I'm only 6 months away from being...gulp...29 and I still do all of those things. :) I say keep doing them all if they make you happy, and having a "childish" side is part of what makes you a great mom. I can guarantee you Sam will remember and enjoy the mom that wants to color and watch cartoons with her more than the mom that is always doing something more "adult".
Have a great day!

Jen said...

Happy birthday!!!

Do what you want! Life is too short to get old, right?

Jodie Allen said...

1. happy birthday (that's a bit less chaotic than the song we "sang" this morning!)

2. I doubt anyone feels sorry for the oh so old 27 year old!

3. stop worrying about getting old, embrace it! this is your life!!! enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

Abbie, Happy Birthday, one day late ... I wish I could say something clever about aging, but I think I'll leave it to the experts.
"Happy is he who still loves something he loved in the nursery: He has not been broken in two by time; he is not two men, but one, and he has saved not only his soul but his life." ~G.K. Chesterton